Coconut poached pears with lemon & ginger
This is one of my latest obsessions on the dessert front – poached pears in a coconut, ginger and lemon zest syrup. It’s perfect for winter or summer as you can pair it with ice cream or coconut yoghurt depending on the temperature outdoors and you can prep it ahead of people coming over for dinner so you don’t have to be busying around in the kitchen whilst your friends or family are over. It’s also contains only health-giving ingredients 😉
Last weekend I dished the pears up hot, swimming in the warm coconut syrup and we scooped some ice cream to go alongside it as London experienced some serisously hot weather last week! It was amazing and we had totally cleared plates all round. Today I have served the pears cold with cold coconut yoghurt. Both versions are equally tasty and both hit the sweet spot.
The coconut water, ginger and lemon zest when left to infuse provide such a deliciously refreshing syrup for the poached pears, and the turmeric or saffron impart a rich golden yellow colour to the dish, as well as a nice aroma and anti-inflammatory and immune boosting goodness.
Top tip :: If you have coconut water syrup leftover, simply decant it into a bottle and drink it cold – it’s SO tasty and you’ll be able to taste the ginger and lemon infusion.
All the healthy best,
- 1 litre coconut water
- 2 strips lemon zest/peel (use a potato peeler)
- 4 thick slices of fresh root ginger
- small pinch of saffron threads or a pinch of ground turmeric
- 4 large, very firm pears, peeled, halved and cored
- 3 tablespons flaked almonds
- 250g coconut yoghurt or ice cream to serve (optional)
- In a pan big enough to hold the pears snugly, combine the coconut water, ginger, lemon zest and saffron or turmeric and bring to the boil.
- Gently drop in the pears, ensuring all pears are submerged.
- Simmer, covered, for about 45 mins or until the pears are just tender. If the pears are very ripe, they may be ready in 20 mins.
- Turn off the heat and set aside. The pears can be poached up to 2 days ahead and kept in the poaching syrup in the fridge.
- If eating right away, dish up the pears into a bowl with a dollop of coconut yoghurt or ice cream and sprinkle with flaked almonds.