Frittata with kale, bacon and purple potatoes
Bacon meets frittata for the first time ever in my world and the whole combinatin is just A-M-A-Z-I-N-G and beyond easy to make. For those of you that have been following my blog for a while, you’ll know that after being a pescatarian for 27 years, I’ve just recently dipped my toe in the meat eating world after 6 months of psyching myself up for the challenge and all I can say is, bacon is definitely all that it is hyped up to be. I have been missing out!!
Frittatas are a weekly dish in my house. They’re perfect for throwing in all your leftover veggies (olives, spring onions, pesto, spinach, broccoli etc.), and my frittata recipes always serve 4, so you make it once and you have 4 meals to see you through the rest of the week which can be enjoyed hot or cold!
Frittatas usually form my breakfasts as protein and good fats help to keep you alert, energized, keep cravings at bay, and they kick fat burning off to a flying start first thing in the morning but this particular recipe would be perfect as a post workout recovery meal since it is loaded with amazing quality protein from the eggs and bacon and it provides you with dose of carbs and vitamins and minerals to help with optimum recovery.
They are packed full of goodness as it’s basically a stir-fry camouflaged in an omelette but they’re a one pot wonder and one that is perfect for brunch o’clock.
I love seeing your recreations, please share them with me via Instagram, Twitter or Facebook using the hashtag #Jessipes and tag me using @JessipesRecipes in your posts and I hope you love this recipe as much as I am right now.
All the healthy best,
- 10 eggs, beaten
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 small purple potatoes, chopped in 1.5cm cubes or quartered
- ½ red onion, diced
- 3 mushrooms, sliced
- ½ bunch kale, leaves separated from stems and chopped
- black pepper and salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
- Preheat the grill, beat the eggs in a large bowl and on a chopping board chop dice and slice all your veggies so they can be added into the frittata mix as required.
- Heat an oven-proof pan (use cast iron if you have it) over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy. Remove from pan and drain.
- Add the coconut oil to the pan, then add chopped potatoes and cook for 5-6 minutes, until the potatoes start to become tender.
- Add the chopped onion, mushrooms and kale and cook 2-3 minutes until kale turns bright green and the mushrooms have softened. Add the bacon back to the pan and add salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste. Stir so all the mixture has been thoroughly combined and spread the veggies and bacon evenly out across the pan.
- Pour the beaten eggs into pan over the veg and bacon and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes. Use a rubber spatula to lift up the edges to check that the bottom is cooked. Put the pan under the grill 4-5 minutes until the egg is firm to touch.
- Let cool for a few minutes, then cut, serve and enjoy!