A super quick and easy breakfast to make any day of the week is this combination of smoked mackerel fillets, rocket and avocado served with two warm poached eggs. This is one of my go-to breakfasts when I’m in a rush in the morning and want to make something to keep me going until lunchtime but it’s also great for a light dinner or lunch when you need to make something speedily.
I hope you love it!
Share your recreations of this simple broke with me on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook using the hashtag #Jessipes and tag me using @JessipesRecipes in your posts. I love seeing them, or post your comments below!
All the healthy best,
- 100g peppered smoked mackerel fillet
- 1 handful fresh rocket leaves
- ½ avocado, sliced
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Himalayan salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- extra virgin olive oil
- Boil the kettle and once boiled add boiling water to a frying pan so it is at least 1inch deep in water. On a medium heat allow the boiled water to gently simmer, stirring with a wooden spoon to ensure the water is heated right the way through and there are no cold pockets.
- Gently crack two eggs on the side of your pan and drop at a low height into the water.
- Allow eggs to poach for 5 minutes. You'll see the egg whites turning white and the yolk cooking.
- Whilst the eggs are poaching, plate up a large handful of rocket.
- Split your avocado in two, removing the pit and cut your avoaco into thin slices saving half an avocado for later lunch. Transfer your sliced avocado onto your salad and dress with good quality extra virgin olive oil and the juice of ¼ lemon.
- Plate up your smoked mackerel and pour the remaining ¼ lemon juice over the fish.
- By now the eggs will be near poached. At the final stage of the egg poaching process, pour a spoonful of boiling water over your eggs to seal the top.
- Use a ladle with holes to take them out of the water and add them onto your breakfast plate.
- Season with ground black pepper and salt and enjoy every bit.