Pomegranate, Sweet potato and Tahini Walnut Salad
One look at this salad and you’re a converted salad lover! It’s so colourful and after the sweet potato crisps are made which is the only timely exercise, it’s literally a case of throwing the rest of the ingredients together and mixing up my favourite dressing of all time, which you do whilst the potatoes are cooking.
Creamy dressing, crunchy sweet potatoes, zingy lemons, juicy pomegrantes and refreshing celery on a bed of peppery rocket and walnuts – just yum!
I’ve used pea shoots or rocket and they both work nicely, though rocket gives it a slight peppery edge which just works so well.
The celery was fresh from the market but all the ingredients in this recipe you can pick up from any supermarket and certainly most markets!
I hope you enjoy this colourful salad and don’t eat all the potato crips before they go into the salad (this is what I did when I first made veggie crisps, oops!). Share your recreations of this recipe with me on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook using the hashtag #Jessipes and tag me using @JessipesRecipes in your posts. I love seeing them!
All the healthy best,
- For the sweet potato:
- 2 generous handfuls of rocket
- 2 sweet potatoes, sliced very thin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- For the salad:
- ¼ cup walnuts or cashews
- 2 pomegranates
- 2 stems of spring onion
- 2 stems of celery
- Himalayan salt & freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons of tahini
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- himalayan salt
- Thinly slice the sweet potatoes and lay them on a baking tray, ideally not overlapping.
- Gently rub both sides of the potato with coconut oil (if the coconut isn't liquid already then lightly melt the coconut oil in a pan until it's liquid so you can rub the potato slices easily and evenly).
- Sprinkle the potato slices with paprika, salt and pepper and place them in the oven at 150°C for approximately 30 - 45minutes until semi-soft.
- After this 30-45 minutes is up, turn up the heat to 250 degress C for a further 10 minutes to crisp the edges.
- Rinse the rocket, dry and place in salad bowl.
- Cut up celery, spring onion, walnuts and sprinkle over rocket.
- Cut open pomegranate & remove seeds and juice into 2 small bowls.
- Once the potato crisps are done in the oven, toss them into the salad with the pomegranate seeds along with a couple of tablespoons of the pomegranate juice.
- Mix up tahini, crushed garlic, olive oil and lemon juice to make the tahini dressing and either serve it in a small bowl on the side or drizzle the dressing over the salad.
- Add a touch of salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!