Tuna nicoise with basil, lemon & tahini dressing
After visting Billingsgate Market last weekend, I came away with the most incredible fish and knocked this dinner up in less than 10 minutes. It was so enjoyed, that I made it for breakfast again the following morning and enjoyed it just as much for brekki.
I highly recommend getting your hands on some really good quality wild tuna as this is what makes the dish EXTRA-ordinary and makes you want to it eat two meals on the trot!
The zingy creamy dressing, fresh tuna and light salad base with gooey boiled eggs was just melt in your mouth tasty and so unbelievably healthy, as all Jessipes are. It takes no time at all to make so is a perfect mid-week dinner recipe when you might not have so long to spend in the kitchen.
Enjoy your tuna nicoise salad experience and let me know if it gets the big thumbs up!
All the healthy best,
- 2 pieces fresh tuna
- handful of walnuts, chopped into halves
- 2 eggs, hard boiled
- 1 large handful of rocket
- 1 small baby gem lettuce, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- juice of half lemon
- ½ garlic clove, crushed
- salt & freshly ground pepper
- Boil the eggs, allow to cool and peel the shells.
- Score your tuna steaks and susan with salt and pepper.
- Heat a non-stick pan on the hob on a high heat and place your two tune steaks on the pan. Once the tuna start to turn white and the white colour travels up to just over the half way mark, flip your tuna steaks onto the other side (usually it's about 2 minutes on both sides for a 2cm thick tuna steak but your stay may differ).
- Once it's cooked for approximately 2 minutes on both sides transfer the steak onto a chopping board and slice the steak into chunky strips. You want the very middle to be slightly undercooked as that's what gives the tuna it's moist texture rather than being tough and dry but if it's still very raw then put the tuna strips back onto the pan and heat for a further 20 seconds or so until you see the ideal change of colour.
- Remove the tuna from the heat and allow to cool.
- Add the rocket, gem lettuce, chopped walnuts into a large salad bowl.
- Slice the cooled cooked eggs into two and add them to your leaves.
- Make up the dressing combining tahini, lemon juice, crushed garlic and freshly ground pepper and salt.
- Add the tuna to the salad bowl and drizzle the dressing over the top.
- Serve and enjoy!