Creamy Coconut Milk
This is my go-to liquid for making my smoothies with at the moment and I add it to porridge or other breakfast bowls. It’s quicker and cheaper to make compared to my almond milk as you don’t need to pre-soak anything, and if you love the flavour of coconuts, it’ll convert your smoothies or breakfast bowls into coconut heaven.
Coconuts boast a bevy of health benefits, most of which are attributed to it’s high levels of saturated fat. They’re also a balanced protein, high in dietary fibre, rich in vitamins and minerals and a brilliant source of energy, perfect for first thing in the morning. Your body will also reap the benefits of lauric acid in the coconut, an anti-fungal, anti-viral and anti- protozoa “miracle” ingredient, which means it’s great for our immunity – perfect timing for this time of year where colds are beginning to do the rounds in our offices.
Dessicated coconut is coconut meat that has been shredded or flaked and then dried to remove as much moisture as possible. Of all the forms of dried coconut this is generally the finest. You don’t have to sieve it using a nut milk bag if you are using the milk for a smoothie as the texture of the dessicated coconut is a welcomed addition in a smoothie, but if you prefer a smoother consistency, straining only a couple of minutes.
I hope you love it 🙂
All the healthy best,
- 100g (1 cup) desiccated coconut/ fine shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- 250ml (1 cup) boiling water
- 250ml (1 cup) cold water
- pinch sea salt
- Add the water and coconut into your blender and blend on high speed for a few minutes until fully blended.
- Let it cool for 5 minutes until it can be safely handled and then strain through a nut milk bag into a jar or glass wide neck bottle.
- Store in the fridge. The cream will separate from the liquid, so shake or heat gently before using.