Grilled peach salad with mint pesto
I had to share with you this salad. It was inspired by a recipe my mum made with grilled peaches for a dessert one time so I thought I’d introduce it to a salad, as salad in fruit is so under-rated and nowehere near done enough! I only like to use seasonal fruits, so mainly in the summer months will I make a fruity salad but it really transforms the salad and makes it so visually pleasing!
Before the peach season is over here in the UK, I decided to slice them up, lightly coat them in olive oil and balsamic vinegar and grill them for a couple of minutes and it worked incredibly!
Sweet grilled peaches, peppery rocket leaves, creamy fresh organic mozzarella, and crunchy walnuts, and herby pesto… It’s so simple and can be served as a light meal or as a starter or side .
Home made pesto sauce, you just can’t beat it! I remember the first time I made pesto for the first time I was addicted and made pesto-containing meals for the whole week after. Pesto and courgetti, pesto and salmon, pesto on seared tuna, pesto in any salad that I was making, until I realised it wasn’t going to disappear and I had plenty of years to get my pesto fix in!
This time round I didn’t put the peaches on a griddle pan I just cooked them on the hob in a regular pan, however the grill marks on the peach when you do use a griddle pan transform the dish even more.
I hope you enjoy this dreamy salad combination. Share your recreations of this recipe with me on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook using the hashtag #Jessipes and tag me using @JessipesRecipes in your posts. I love seeing them!
All the healthy best,
- For the salad
- 2 firm, yet ripe peaches
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 large handfuls of rocket, washed
- fresh mozzarella, sliced
- sprinkle of walnuts or pine nuts
- salt & pepper
- Mint & basil pesto:
- 1 handful of mint & basil
- 1 handful of walnuts
- ½ garlic clove, chopped
- juice and zest from ½ a lemon
- 3 glugs of olive oil (or more)
- salt & freshly ground pepper
- Slice the peaches into 6 segments per peach. In a small bowl, toss peaches with olive oil, balsamic, and just a small pinch of salt.
- Heat your grill (or grill pan) to medium high heat and brush it with some oil. Place the peach slices on the hot grill and cook each side for 2-3 minutes without moving them (near the end you can gently peek to see how your grill marks are coming along). When your peaches are grilled, set aside and allow them to cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile make the pesto. Combine all ingredients in a small food processor and pulse to combine. Add more oil for a smoother pesto, or leave it chunky - whichever consistency you prefer.
- Toss the rocket with just a little bit of olive oil and a few pinches of salt. Assemble on a platter and top with mozzarella slices, peaches and dollops of pesto.
- Squeeze just a bit of lemon on top and serve.