Quinoa And Chocolate Festive Crispies
A healthier version of the much adored chocolate crispies from my childhood days for healthy eating over Christmas.
Raw cacao (otherwise known as, chocolate in it’s purest, non-refined form), gives the recipe the all important indulgent chocolate flavour but it also gives the recipe an amazing antioxidant boost which is so required in December when colds are doing the rounds. The coconut oil and almond butter add a decadent layer to the recipe and ensure the recipe binds together nicely and lastly the pistachios and cranberries give the bar a festive bit of colour ready to be enjoyed over the hols.
It’s super simple to make, you can make it as a bar or alternatively you can make it the traditional cupcake way and add 1-2 tablespoons of chocolate quinoa to cupcake holders and leave them in the fridge to set in the same way 🙂
I love quinoa! It seriously is such a versatile wheat-free grain-like seed. It is pronounced ‘keen-wa’, and has twice the protein content of rice or barley so it’s great if you’re trying to mindful of your protein intake and it’s also a good source of calcium, magnesium and manganese as well as having good levels of several B vitamins, vitamin E and dietary fibre. The puffed quinoa has a really tasty yet delicate and subtly nutty flavor and it goes so well with chocolate and almonds (it’s also delicious with hazelnuts).
Enjoy it over the Christmas holidays and beyond for a healthy snack and be sure to use tag me in your posts when you recreate your recipes and use the #Jessipes in your posts as I LOVE being able to share your kitchen experiences with you!
All the healthy best,
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 4 heaped tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- pinch of salt
- 60g (1 ½) cups popped / puffed Quinoa
- ¼ cup cranberries
- ¼ cup pistachios
- Pour into a lined loaf pan and chill until set.
- Place the quinoa puffs into a mixing bowl.
- Add the coconut oil, raw cacao and salt to a saucepan on medium heat and slowly mix as the coconut oil melts and a chocolate sauce is formed.
- Remove from the heat and mix in the almond butter and maple syrup and stir.
- Once thoroughly mixed, spoon into the mixing bowl with the quinoa puffs and mix everything together, ensuring all the puffs are coated with the chocolate/almond sauce.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and evenly spread the chocolate crispies on the tray, pressing down with your hands to ensure the mixture is compact and pressed right into the corners of the tray.
- Add the pistachio nuts and cranberries on top and press them into the mixture with your fingers.
- Place the tray in the freezer and allow to set for half an hour or place it in the firdge for a couple of hours to set.
- Once ready to be enjoyed, cut the bar into serving portions and enjoy!