Raw almond & coconut cacao truffles
I’d like to introduce you to Monty who is the most well behaved dog I have had the pleasure of meeting on one of my cooking workshops last week. He sat, almost entirely drool free for three hours whilst his mum and I were busy in the kitchen cooking up so many yummy creations! He is now on my vision board – I totally want one!!
One of the recipes we made was a recipe I haven’t made in a while and I forgot how delicious they were! I’d like to introduce you to my raw almond and coconut cacao truffles – the tastiest, healthiest little balls which are so moreish, which is probably why I stopped making them as they were too moreish!
If you like the taste of coconuts and chocolate plus smooth and creamy almonds and you don’t want to sacrifice your health in order to have something sweet, then you will love these little balls.
Almonds naturally contain a healthy blend of good anti-inflammatory fats, magnesium and manganese and they’re also the highest vitamin E containing nut around. Coconut oil has ant-iviral, anti-microbial properties and it also contains lauric acid, the same wonderful substance that is found in breast milk and that boosts immunity. It also adds to the creamy portfolio of the balls.
Raw cacao rightfully deserves it’s superfood status which a lot of people are talking about at the moment. Cacao is the purest, most unprocessed form of chocolate around, other than eating the cacao bean itself and contains a powerhouse of antioxidants which are important for health because they absorb the free radicals that cause damage in the body. They are also a great source of fibre and iron.
So unlike most shop bought snacks, they actually add to your energy and health and they take only take 5 minutes to make and roll (and less than that to eat if you’re anything like me)!
I hope you love your new snack addition. I would LOVE to see your DIY creations so share your recreations with me on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook using the hashtag #Jessipes and tag me using @JessipesRecipes in your posts. I love seeing them!
All the healthy best,
- ½ cup (55g) of desiccated coconut
- ½ cup (50g) of ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons of almond butter
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao (plus extra for the coating)
- 3 medjool dates
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend for a minute or two, until the mixture has formed a sticky mixture. If you have an old food processor you may need to blend it for slightly longer.
- Scoop approximately 1 tablespoon of the mixture into your hand and roll into a truffle size ball between the palms of your hands.
- On a separate plate, sprinkle a tablespoon of cacao powder and then roll your ball in the cacao to give your balls a chocolate coating!
- Place your rolled ball into a bowl, plate or tupperware dish and continue rolling balls with the rest of the mixture until you’ve run out of mixture.
- Store in the fridge or freezer for an hour to firm up or alternatively keep them stored in the fridge or freezer for later enjoyment! You can eat them from frozen or once they've thawed out a little.
- Bite, love and share – if you are generous with your chocolate!