Roasted Tomato & Carrot Soup With Rosemary
This soup was a throw-together meal last week, using up any leftover veggies I had in the fridge but it was was of the most simple, yum soups I’ve made and goes SO well with my Rosemary Loaf with some hummus or guacamole on top or smoked mackerel whizzed up with lemon juice. A bit of an add combination but anything goes in my house!
Mid-week simple dinners I know are in high demand, so this can add to your collection. It’s also a very inexpensive dinner that can feed the entire family. You can bag up whatsever is leftover and keep it in the freezer for emergency dinner supplies!
I remember growing up, when either my brother or I asked my mum what was for dinner and her answer was “soup” or “quiche and salad”, we would secretly / not so secretly think “nooooooooo”, they were the worst meal choices ever, especially when we were so hungry and had had a long day! I would always swallow my words by the end of the meal as I was reminded how tasty, surprisingly filling and satisfying soup was. And now, in my adult years I LOVE soup, I make it reguarly at home as it’s so beyond easy to make from scratch! You really can’t go wrong, roast whatever veggies you have in, the secret is in the roasting as that’s where all the flavours come out, throw in some nice fresh herbs, add some stock and blend the whole combination.
Roasted tomatoes and rosemary work so well together, and the carrots give the soup a natural sweetness.
I hope you love it!
Let me know in the comments below if it gets the thumbs up in your house 🙂
- 10 medium tomatoes
- 5 carrots, washed
- 3 cloves garlic, skin on
- 2 large white onions, roughly chopped into eighths
- 3 large sprigs of rosemary or to taste, pull the leaves off to give you 3 teaspoons of rosemary leaves or use 3 teaspoons of dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 500-750ml vegetable stock - more or less depending on how thick you like your soups
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 356°F.
- Halve your tomatoes and carrots and lay on one or two baking trays, flesh side up. Add the onions chunks and the garlic cloves and drizzle with olive oil.
- Place in the oven and remove after 45 minutes when the tomatoes have a golden tone to them.
- Gently heat the olive oil in a saucepan and fry the rosemary for a few minutes.
- Add the roasted veg - the onions, tomatoes and any juices. Squeeze the 3 cloves of garlic out of their skins.
- Cover with stock, starting with 500ml, turn up the heat and bring to a medium simmer, lid on for 20 minutes to let the flavours combine. Add more stock if needed.
- Blend until smooth and season to taste.
- Drizzle each bowl with extra virgin olive oil and add a few parmesan shavings and a few fresh rosemary leaves.