Whole roasted curried cauliflower
A gorgeous veggie to look at and eat, this baked cauliflower flower can stand alone on a kitchen table along with a simple oven roasted piece of fish and a green salad and look impressive. The turmeric and cumin give the cauliflower a gorgeous golden yellow colour and the drizze of lemon juice and coconut sugar at the end gives the cauliflower a subtly sweet, citrus touch.
White foods are normally not so great and best avoided i.e. potaotes, spaghetti, white bread and rice but there are three exceptions to the white rule and that’s white fish, mushrooms and cauliflower.
Cauliflower, along with other vegetables in the brassica family such as broccoli, cabbage and kale contain anticancer phytochemicals knows as glucosinolates. The chief glucosinolate is indole-3-carbinol (I3C), a compound formed whenever cruciferous vegetables are crushed, chewed or cut as this activates the enzyme that makes I3C. Another glucosinolate is suforaphane, suforaphane, I3C and other glusoinolates have potent antioxidant properties and also stimulate natural detoxifying enzymes in the body which help to ‘disarm’ carcinogenic molecules and help remove them from cells.
Cauliflower is also high in fibre, which can help to clear excess estrogen from the body having a hormone balancing effect.
Once roasted, the cauliflower can be sliced up cake-style on a wooden board, and served as thick wedges.
I hope you love it!
All the healthy best,
- 1 large cauliflower head, leaves removed and stem cut
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Heat the oven to 200oC.
- Trim the outer leaves of the cauliflower and cut the stems so it sits upright.
- Transfer to a ceramic or Pyrex dish.
- Rub the cut side of the garlic clover all over the cauliflower.
- In a small bowl, mix the coriander, cumin, turmeric, salt and coconut oil. Brush all over the cauliflower head.
- Roast in the bottom of the oven for 1 hour – 1 hour 20 minutes until tender when tested with a knife and slightly charred.
- Mix the lemon juice, olive oil and sugar and drizzle over the cauliflower while still warm.
- To serve, sprinkle the finely chopped fresh coriander and serve whole.